FDBloggers: getting to know Sal's Kitchen

Every Thursday evening at 8pm, I join in with the fabulous #fdbloggers chat on Twitter, and it's introduced me to an amazing community of foodies - not least, the inspirational Loriley Sessions, who started up the whole thing. I've really enjoyed hosting the chat on a few occasions, and now I'm delighted to join in with Loriley's latest awesome plan - a cheeky questionnaire to get to know some of the #fdbloggers regulars. 

Name: Sal Godfrey

Blog: Sal's Kitchen

What was your reason for starting a blog? Seven years ago I spent 12 months living & working in Paris as part of my university degree, and it blew my mind a bit. I'd always been a pretty fussy eater, but I seized the opportunity to get out of my comfort zone and try some new stuff, and I fell in love with food - particularly the excitement that comes with discovering something new & delicious, which happened almost daily! When I came back to England I started expanding on my basic cooking skills and developing recipes of my own, and after a while I wanted to share them with friends and family - I never dreamed that anyone else would be interested.

What's the dish you're most proud of? Such a difficult question! I recently published a recipe for Crab Bisque with Orange & Fennel, which is my favourite new recipe, because the sophisticated flavours just work so beautifully together. Seafood is now one of my favourite things to eat & I really love crab - fussy teenage me would be gobsmacked! Fennel is also something I've really gotten into recently. So as well as being an absolutely gorgeous recipe, it reminds me of just how far my tastebuds have come, and how much more exciting food is now!

What one kitchen utensil could you not live without? Hmm. I assume I'm not supposed to give a boring answer like knives & saucepans! I absolutely love my Garlic Zoom - it's a little ball with wheels that drive a rotating blade inside. You put a clove of garlic in and then roll it up and down the counter to chop. I dislike using a garlic press because it seems to waste so much of the clove. This makes prepping garlic so much easier and it's rather cute too!

You're stranded on a desert island. What three ingredients do you take with you? Garlic, pasta, fresh oregano.

Who do you take inspiration from? When I was learning to cook, the first books I bought were Jamie Oliver's - he really showed me that food can be fun and cooking should be relaxed, which is something I always try to remember. My mum is a brilliant cook and has all sorts of tricks & secret ingredients that I'm gradually wheedling out of her - if I'm lost with a recipe or a dish, she's the one I ask for advice. I'm also really lucky to be part of a fabulous community of foodies in Bath, where I live, so I'm constantly taking inspiration from dishes I eat out. Finally, in terms of bloggers, I'm always inspired by Angela at Patisserie Makes Perfect's confectionary wizardry & her beautiful photos, and last but not least, Loriley herself, for what she's achieved with the #fdbloggers chat!

Favourite social platform? Definitely Twitter. I think I'll always be loyal to Twitter because none of what I've achieved would've happened without it - it's where I get inspiration & encouragement, find new clients & promote my business (Sal's Kitchen, which is now a full-time job for me, provides creative content for food companies), make lovely new friends, and stay connected to everything that's going on. I love the way it creates a global space to chat about stuff we all care about, from the Great British Bake-Off to the #lovewins hashtag. I think it's brilliant - come & say hi @sal_godfrey. 

Biggest disaster in the kitchen? I was once making flapjacks and I added cumin instead of cinnamon - luckily the smell was so unmistakeable that I didn't taste them! I also unzipped one of my fingers with a very sharp knife whilst cutting up caramels... the amount of blood was really quite terrifying!

Favourite spot for coffee? A place in Bath called Colonna & Hunter. It's a lovely light space, with high ceilings and big windows, and they do amazing coffee as well as lots of really interesting & unusual beers on tap. It's my favourite place for a meeting, and it's also a bit of an informal hub for the self-employed & workers-from-home, so I usually see someone I know!

Favourite food photo you've taken? I think this picture of my Apple Roses with Lavender Jelly has probably gotten the best response yet! I was so happy with how they turned out. I love searching out new photo props in Bath's secondhand and charity shops, and the cloche in this photo came from a charity shop - I repainted it and mounted it on a stand, and I think it looks pretty stunning. I love a bit of upcycling.


Most successful blog post & why? I got an amazing response to my series of blog posts on the Live Below The Line challenge - the idea behind it is that you live on £1 a day, for 5 days, to raise money and awareness for those living below the poverty line. As well as sharing my recipes, I also wrote a lot about the experience and what I'd learnt. It had a profound impact on me and I'd really recommend it - so important to put yourself in someone else's shoes, if only to appreciate just how lucky you are.


Three food bloggers I'd like to nominate: the aforementioned Angela at Patisserie Makes Perfect, Shini from The IntrovertedChilli, and Laura at The Whole Ingredient