Spicy Tomato Kedgeree

A couple of weeks ago I met a lovely Bath chap called Doug from The Somerset Hotsauce Company, and he was kind enough to pass on a couple of bottles of their fiery potions for me to try - currently you can buy either their original recipe, or for die-hard spice fans, a pumped up habanero version. I must confess that the habanero is a bit much for me (yes, I’m a wimp, I know), but as soon as I tasted the original I started thinking of delicious ways to use it in my cooking. This version of kedgeree is what I came up with - I love the classic dish, but I think this souped-up spicy tomato version is pretty awesome too. I've also come up with a simpler & quicker way of doing it than the more traditional risotto style, so even if you can't usually be bothered with that kind of cooking, I think you'll like this dish.

Ingredients

One smoked haddock fillet
One 125g packet of boil-in-the-bag rice
Butter
1 tbsp turmeric
1 tsp curry powder
One onion
Two ripe tomatoes
A generous dollop of Somerset Hotsauce Original
Two eggs
A small splash of white wine vinegar
Fresh parsley, to serve

Serves two

First, a note - I really hate cooking rice, and find it hard to get right, so that's why I love boil-in-the-bag. Obviously you can just cook normal rice and substitute that if you prefer.

Start by poaching the fish - simply place in a saucepan, pour in enough cold water to cover it, and then put on the heat and bring to a boil. Once the water is boiling, turn the heat down, put the lid on, and cook for eight minutes.

When the time's up, drain the water off into a small saucepan, and set the haddock aside on a small plate. Use the water to boil your rice according to the instructions. In the meantime, melt a generous knob of butter in the first saucepan and dice the onion as finely as you can. Fry gently in the butter for a few minutes, then chop the tomatoes roughly and add those too, along with the turmeric, curry powder, Somerset Hotsauce and a bit more butter. Stir well and leave it all to sizzle gently while the rice cooks.

When the rice is done, drain and add it to the pan with the onions, stirring through to coat it in the butter and spices. Use a fork to break the poached haddock up into flakes and add those to the pan too. Turn the heat right down and leave it on the hob to keep warm while you do the final stage.

Take the same small saucepan you used for the rice (I doubled up on using the pans to save on washing up), fill two-thirds with water, add a splash of white wine vinegar, and bring to the boil on the hob. Gently add the two eggs, and boil for five minutes, then transfer them to a bowl of cold water until they're cool enough to handle. Carefully shell them - the white wine vinegar in the water should have made the shells easier to remove. 

To serve, divide the rice between two plates and top each one with a soft-boiled egg, then sprinkle the chopped parsley over the top. Drizzle with extra Somerset Hotsauce if you fancy a serious spice kick. 

To visit The Somerset Hotsauce Company's website and buy their delicious sauces, click here.